The Nissan Frontier pop-up camper is a great vehicle for those who want to camp on the go. However, you need to know some things before buying it.
Phoenix Pop-Up Campers
Phoenix Pop-Up Campers is a custom upfitter of pop-up campers. Unlike any other builder, this company builds each camper to order. They use no pre-fabricated parts and all the work is done in house by their own craftsmen. In addition, they can deliver as soon as 4 weeks after you place your order! The base weight on these lightweight campers has not been mentioned but includes many standard features that have become very rare such as “All interior cabinets are lined with thermofoil”. Their unique designs ranging from cargo campers to sporty teardrop models will be sure to please anyone looking for an alternative camping experience. With tons of standard options and upgrades available, Phoenix Pop-Up Campers can customize just about anything you could want into one or more of its beautiful creations including counter tops made out of granite stone and even custom fabrics that match any décor or theme you may have in mind!
Northstar Pop-Up Campers for the Nissan Frontier
The Northstar Pop-Up Camper for Nissan Frontier is the perfect camper for camping in remote locations. The lightweight hardside design opens quickly and easily, and packs down to fit behind the cab of your truck so you can leave it there when not in use. When you need some extra space, simply pull a pin and let it rise into an amazingly spacious pop-up camper with a roomy kitchen/living area that sleeps up to six adults comfortably. It even has an entertainment center with a 32” LED TV!
Four Wheel Campers: Swift and Fleet Models
Four Wheel’s camper models include the Swift and Fleet. The Swift sleeps two people, while the Fleet sleeps three. Each model comes in either fiberglass or aluminum (the latter weighs less). Their designs differ slightly depending on whether you have a short bed or long bed truck.
– The Swift measures 81 ½ inches by 76 ¾ inches by 34 inches and has an interior height of 6 feet 4 inches with its pop-top up—comparable to most other compact campers that sleep two adults. It includes a 20 gallon freshwater tank, four battery positions (two per side), 10 cupholders, and six 120 volt electrical outlets; it also offers plenty of storage underneath for dry goods including a pantry.
– For those who need more space than the Swift can provide but don’t want to go all out in size like some Class C RVs do, Four Wheel’s Fleet fills this niche nicely as well. With sleeping accommodations for three adults instead of just two, the Fleet measures in at 81 ½ inches by 79 ¾ inches by 34 ½ inches. It has a max interior height of 6 feet 4 inches with its pop top up as well, and it also offers more storage space underneath for dry goods including a pantry.
– The Fleet is available only in aluminum, weighs just over 500 pounds (about the same as the Swift) and sleeps three people. Its interior height when popped up is similar to that of the Swift’s: 6 feet 4 inches.
Nissan Frontier Camper Suspension Upgrades
The Nissan Frontier is a mid-size pickup truck that was manufactured by Nissan from 1983 to 2016 and sold as the Nissan Hardbody in Japan, Mexico and New Zealand. The Frontier has been produced in three different generations. It began as a compact pickup based on the platform of the earlier Datsun 810/March, with an entirely new design introduced for 2004 called “HR” series (HR31 ~ HR34).
Four Wheel Camper Fleet
The Four Wheel Camper Company is one of the most established names in pop-up truck campers and has been making these products since 1988. Easily one of 7 best pop-up truck campers for mid-size trucks, their models are some of the sturdiest and built like a tank. The only real negative with this camper is its relatively high weight: 5,150 pounds dry weight; 4,750 pounds GVWR (with water tanks filled). However, it’s worth pointing out that at least you can get an optional fifth wheel hitch to help reduce tongue weight by 600 lbs.
The list price for the Topi model we chose as our top pick was only $14,715 which is a real bargain when you consider all that you get for the money (the list price includes 2 A/C units and hot water heater). We paid just over $17K including tax and license fees.
If your rig isn’t equipped to haul a popup camper, check out our list of the best pickup truck campers available today.
– The Topi is an awesome pop-up camper that can sleep up to four people comfortably. It includes two A/C units, a hot water heater, and even more storage space underneath for dry goods including a pantry. If you’re looking for an affordable way to haul around your family or friends on camping trips, this is it!
Four-Wheel Campers: Fleet Models
Four-wheel’s Fleet models include the Fleet II (for two people) and the Fleet III (for three people). They are essentially identical except that they have different interior layouts and slightly different exterior styling depending on whether you have a short bed or long bed truck. In addition, their weight varies by about 100 pounds between them (approximately 5,700 lbs GVWR for the Fleet III vs 4,750 lbs GVWR for the Fleet II). Both models come in either fiberglass or aluminum and they are both available in the same colors as the Swift.
Outfitter Caribou Lite 65
For those times when you need to go light or get up in the trees—or both at once—the Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 is a great choice. This camper has all of the amenities that you’d expect from an Outfitter, such as a full walk-on roof and a large amount of storage space, but it weighs in at only 850 pounds! This means that with just one person (and your fishing gear) on board, this unit can be pulled through very rough terrain like windblown sand pits without much effort. The lighter weight also makes for easier carrying of the shell by two people around camp if needed. As its name implies, there are no lite models available with rear bunk beds; however, they do have their own deluxe model with double bunks and lots of room for gear underneath. You could spend $20K outfitting one like this yourself and not come close to what these units deliver completely ready to go!
– One of the first things you’ll notice about this unit when ready to hit the road is that it’s incredibly lightweight. In fact, at 1,180 pounds dry with everything included (including awning), it’s one of the lightest mid-size campers on our list and very easy for just about any driver to tow around. They’re also one of the few companies that can paint your camper a custom color to match your truck which is awesome if you have an older model or really unique shade. Although we loved everything else about this pop-up tent trailer, there are some downsides you should be aware of before making a purchase. First off, they don’t include batteries in their standard package so make sure you get them installed ahead of time since they do not come precharged out of the box either. Another issue worth mentioning is that although Phoenix Mini Max has lots of storage space inside and outside its walls; once set up it does not fold up very small. Although it’s a great choice for those that need to haul around friends and family in a lightweight camper, keep in mind that you probably won’t be able to fit the whole thing into your truck bed!
The ATC Bobcat is a truck camper built by All-Terrain Campers with the Jeep Gladiator in mind. This semi-custom, aluminum camper comes in 2 lengths and can be ordered as either a hard side or soft shell model. The longer of the two models measures out at over 20 feet long and offers room for up to 6 people on any adventure. For those looking to cut down on weight, an option exists for ordering it as a lightweight shell model which will save you around 100 pounds!
– Every All Terrain Camper features an aluminum frame covered by ultra-durable alloy skin (Aluminum). Rugged means this unit was built to last but also makes it easy to tow behind your vehicle no matter if you’re hauling it across town or all the way cross country. It’s not just about durability though; this rugged design allows it to stand up against rain, dust storms, winds, and snow while still maintaining exceptional levels of comfort inside during any weather conditions.
– With a total length of over 20 feet, you can fit up to 6 people inside this camper. The rear deck is equipped with a full slide-out and the front door features an opening that provides easy access when needing to hop out quickly. You will also find storage compartments on both sides of the unit as well as in each corner which are ideal for storing fishing gear or anything else you might need during your adventure.
– ATC Bobcat’s main feature is its ability to be towed by almost any vehicle; however, it does not come with a hitch (a hitch must be purchased separately). For those looking to tow this unit around without having to worry about buying another vehicle just for camper accessories, we recommend upgrading your truck/SUV with one of our custom hitches!
Aerial Camper Systems SkyChef SkyDome SkyStove and SkyHook systems are aluminum framed pop-up tents designed specifically for camping use.
The Bundutec Topi is a 4 x 8 foot all aluminum pop-up camper that weighs less than 500 pounds. It can be pulled by the average family sedan or SUV and set up in about 20 minutes. With its 13 cu. ft refrigerator, it has enough space to hold food for two people for 2 weeks while on safari in Africa. The innovative Truma Combi water heater/furnace system makes this possible because it provides hot water not only for showers but also for cooking as well!